Maine Politics

From the Piscataqua to the St. John

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Call Collins

But don't pontificate on the floor of the Senate and tell me that somehow I am violating the Constitution of the United States of America by blocking a judge or filibustering a judge that I don't think deserves to be on the circuit court because I am going to continue to do it at every opportunity I believe a judge should not be on that court. That is my responsibility. That is my advise and consent role, and I intend to exercise it. I don't appreciate being told that somehow I am violating the Constitution of the United States. I swore to uphold that Constitution, and I am doing it now by standing up and saying what I am saying.

(Former) Senator Bob Smith (R - New Hampshire) on the senate floor - March 7, 2000. (Current) Majority Leader Frist and several other Republicans voted with Smith in an attempt to use the filibuster to block a Clinton judicial nominee.

I think you have to be very careful, that's my advice, before you start tinkering with the rules. I mean the rules have been changed before. You want to think down the road. The Senate's going to change. It's not always going to be Republican. It changes back and forth. History shows that.

Bob Dole on NPR's Morning Edition - April 12, 2005

"I just don't see how it's going to benefit us, even in the majority, to change it to a simple majority [vote] because ultimately it could create more wedges and political wounds."

Senator Snowe in the Washington Post - January 16, 2005

Senator Susan Collins:

Augusta Office (207) 622-8414
Bangor Office (207) 945-0417
Biddeford Office (207) 283-1101
Caribou Office (207) 493-7873
Lewiston Office (207) 784-6969
Portland Office (207) 780-3575
Washington D.C. Office (202) 224-2523

In other Senate news, it appears Snowe and Collins won't have to vote on the Bolton nomination.


Visit the new Maine Politics.

1 Comments:

If the filibuster is such a good thing, why isn't it used at all levels of government? Would you favor implementing a filibuster rule in the Maine Senate? 

Posted by George

4/19/2005 07:31:00 PM

 

:
:
:

<< Return to Home Page