Maine Politics

From the Piscataqua to the St. John

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Happenings

I haven't posted much in the last couple weeks. The great thing about being back in Maine is that I can participate in politics here instead of just writing about them, and that's what I've been doing. Last week I was at the statehouse with a group pushing for passage of both Part 3 of the Democratic budget (eliminating borrowing by upping the cigarette tax) and LD 1595, the comprehensive tax reform proposal which, in broad strokes, would lower property and income taxes by closing loopholes in the state sales tax. The budget passed but the tax reform bill was sent back to committee.

I enjoyed talking to all the legislators, and Sen. Snowe Mello may or may not have asked me out on a date, but one of the high points of the day was definitely meeting Daily Show star Representative Brian Duprey of Hampden (who Al Diamon describes as "the least effective member of the least competent Legislature in recent history").

The photo above shows a couple of Duprey's constituents from Hampden lobbying him. He first tried to tell us that cigarette prices are currently much lower in Canada (something my Canadian friends who pay $10 a pack would be surprised to hear) and then insisted he had to get to the chamber to hear some important debate on the issue. 5 minutes later we found him eating cheese-its in a stairwell. He quickly stashed the crackers in a pocket when I asked to take his picture. And yes, that is a Republican elephant tie he's wearing.

Baldacci signed the budget provision into law yesterday and the tax reform package will be back on the agenda in a few weeks when the legislature reconvenes. Be sure to watch the MCLF Blog for updates on the bill.


Visit the new Maine Politics.

4 Comments:

Channel 6 did a story about the Maine People's Alliance protest outside of the Andrew Card speech in Bangor. I think the group would be more effective if most of them didn't look like cast members from a traveling company of "Hair." Someone should tell them their hair cuts went out 25 years ago. 

Posted by George

6/25/2005 08:23:00 PM

 

I need a haircut now REAL BAD but have been too busy and wonder if I should just let my freak flag fly when I look at the "do's" of some of our best known poitical and business leaders. On one side you get hair plugs and combovers and the other....just bad styl'n.  

Posted by rggedat

6/26/2005 07:16:00 AM

 

I work for MPA and I will have you know that my hair cut is VERY nice, VERY stylish, and I got it out of Vogue... THIS SEASON'S VOGUE

Aside from that, don't insult our style to detract from the issue.  

Posted by Blueberry

6/26/2005 11:49:00 PM

 

So are you going to take up Lois Snowe Mello on her offer?

Seriously though, for an update on the tax reform bill, LD 1595, it's looking like late August or early September before we get a special session on it.

Which means for now, we are going to do weekly phone banking whenever I can get people in. Everyone should call their legislators, the Governor, and the Speaker (John Richardson) to urge them to call the special session and support LD 1595.

And yes, we will continue to post updates at our blog . 

Posted by Jon @ MCLF

6/27/2005 01:24:00 PM

 

:
:
:

<< Return to Home Page